After everything is put away and labeled in the hackerspace, I think the next big makerspace improvement project should be the Sewing Room.
There’s lots that can be done to improve the room and make it more useful to members.
- Tear out the carpet to replace it with donated laminate flooring (no more pins and threads caught in the carpet!)
- Tear out the closet since it isn’t very functional
- Add shelving
- Make the cutting table a convertible table that folds up or something so it takes up less space when not in use (and so people don’t leave things on it)
- Add a sewing table/desk for a domestic machine/serger/embroidery machine
- Install a corkboard and peg board for samples, instructions, notions, rulers, french curves, etc
- Make a nicer cover for the dressmaker’s dummy
There’s a pinterested board started with some inspiration: https://www.pinterest.com/yukonstruct/sewing-room/
I think the first step is to come up with a plan for how to make the best use of the available space.
Ideally it should be comfortable to have 3 students and an instructor in there for the Industrial Sewing Machine 101 training session